Thursday, March 4, 2010

Birthdays, Memories, and Reflections


Eli didn't need any encouragement to blow out the candle, he knew exactly what to do.

He was given a mat with roads on it and he is already very busy 'driving'.

We had matching glasses which confused him a little.

Eli will play outside all day if I let him. I have to go out and change his mittens periodically and make sure he warm enough. This part of his independence I like.
Yesterday was a blessing because we were able to celebrate my birthday and Eli's birthday. We share this special day and yesterday was very special indeed. One year ago, I was more focused on my own aging self rather than able to properly celebrate him. Two years ago I didn't celebrate myself except to have others cheering me on and praising me for a job well done.
(A beautiful homebirth I will always remember with tenderness and love)
Because last year I turned 30, this year it was just 31. What is it about those numbers 0 and 5. I had a really hard time turning 20, 25 and then 30. Yesterday was actually a bit of a relief. I am in my thirties. I have two wonderful children, an amazing husband and wonderful family and friends that surround me.
I also feel that because Eli and I had a harder time bonding initially, I now look forward to the older he gets, as we seem to bond tighter and tighter each day. This excites me as I realize it will continue as I age; which is a good thing to look forward to! This past year was a good year for memories and a hard year for reflections. I lost my grandmother, my church and had to re-arrange (in my head) where I thought I was going to live and what I was going to be doing there. I was able to do some deep, hard, (what felt like) blind, soul searching. I had been advised to do this over the next week or so from a small business counselor. It took me 9 months. I am still grieving my grandmother, my church and rediscovering my 'future'. But I do feel like the 30th year of my life was definitely one of the most eye opening, challenging and rewarding years of my life so far and I hope to have an equally blessed year this year but maybe with a few less pains.
Eli continues to grow and learn. He is so sweet and affectionate. He is a tease and loves to make us laugh. He has a very serious temper which is starting to get better now that he can use words but because he is so intense, we try to take the kicking screaming child out of the situation as soon as possible. He is talking quite a lot and can communicate much of what he needs but still uses a lot of shrugging and hand gestures. His gross motor skills are not surprisingly good but what did surprise us is that he is left handed and will use his marker or brush with great care and precision. He is not a careful child in most situations but when it comes to art, he really is. It is pretty fun to see the differences between he and Maetia and also to watch them play together and make each other laugh.

1 comment:

Chloe @ A Creative Call said...

Such wonderful posts. I was thinking of you yesterday but I didn't get an email off. Happy Birthday. I love reading about your thoughts, your children, your life. Much love.