Friday, January 30, 2009

Longest winter ever

I am not usually one to complain about winter because I really love autumn and spring so I know that these are enjoyable because of the change of seasons so... I also like sledding, skating, and the smell of snow. That said, I do not like temperatures of -20 degrees Celcius lasting for days, weeks at at time. I feel that -10 is okay sometimes, and for a day or two I can bunker down and stay inside with -20; but my preference is between 0 and -5 (with sun). This way we get snow, keep the ice on the ponds and enjoy winter. January on the East Coast is not known for it's sunny days and I am running out of patience for the kind of dismal grey cloud that is still bright enough to squint at but does not have a warming or happy effect. Having two little ones who love it outside; I find myself often staring out the window. Maetia asks me what I am looking at, and I have to say "I don't really know". I just want to be outside playing.
Thankfully we did get a break and last Saturday was sunny and only -7. So we played outside until there were tears. Here are some shots of us with the snow woman we made.



1 comment:

Chloe @ A Creative Call said...

Funny thing about being pregnant during the winter, it somehow makes it less harsh since I feel like I am overheating all the time. Lots of people around here have commented on the relentless cold as well and I have realized that I really haven't been effected by it as much as usual. For that I am thankful. The lack of (warming) sun though, that is always the hardest part of winter no matter the temps.

Thanks for all your encouraging comments lately. It is fun to see your growing beauties and get a taste of life in NS.